Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Worsening post-op Inflammation

My forehead felt very heavy yesterday, I could not focus long as my eyes felt painful. Also my gums were so itchy they kept me awake at night, flossing until the itch would subside. My antibiotics were completed, and I didn't want to use the painkillers.
My wife made an appointment with my specialist, who could see me almost immediatly. Great!
My wife and son joined me, as the 10min walk from my home to the clinic was an effort. I was happy to hold my wife's arm and that my son was there for me. (him waking up at 9am is a miracle in itself)

The specialist carefully listened to me and said the cause of inflammation could be many things but it is quite common in post-operation recovery, even after 9 days. The runny nose could even continue into the third week but with regular saline flushing this would be ok.

So he cleaned my nose and was very pleased with the healing of the polyps (he had also removed something from my right nostril) and the way air flowed through both nostrils.

He gave me antibiotics for 5 days, some low dose steroids to reduce the swelling and sleeping pills for standby, to help me over the edge when sleep wouldn't come. He warned not to take them everyday.

I left his clinic with the now usual cheering: "Going strong!" and "Trust in the Lord!", making me feel completely energized.

We learned that it is important to explain discomfort, and get medicins to reduce unnecessary suffering. It's also important to have a trust and caring relationship with your specialist. Being able to see him on short notice means a lot mentally. Choosing one with a clinic nearby reduces the effort and threshold to visit, making visits a breeze and easy on the mind.

No comments: