Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Interesting finds and tips

Today is a week after the operation. My weight is 84.5 kg, which is 3 kg less then a week before.
Great motivation and a big smile for that :-)

Talking about smiles, I noticed 3 days ago something very amazing.
During the polyp removal operation, the surgeon had to break my nose to create breathing space in my left nostril. He set it straight, to the surprise of my wife who noticed it immediately. Free plastic surgery! I only felt pain when we kissed after the operation.
Anyway, I have to flush each nostril with saline water 4 times a day which sucks big time, as my nose is not healed yet. Now that I can breathe again through that nostril, I exercised draining of the sinuses, and by chance I smiled when looking at the funny faces I made in the mirror.
That smile opened up the drain between my sinus and my nose, which had been closed for 6 months. It was like a fresh wind blew through my head. I smiled and more fresh wind, as well as fresh puss ran down my nose. Wonderful how our body is built to smile!

So three great positive things:
1) 3 kg weight loss
2) a straight nose as a present
3) smiling drains my sinuses

Isn't life wonderful when you pay attention to the small things happening now?

Oh, and one more tip, shave your inner nose hairs before such an operation. It saves you the agony of removing bits and pieces together with the hairs later on. Lucky I had that foresight...

No comments: