Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Melanoma... what happened before

Yesterday, the diagnosis of Melanoma in my nose was confirmed.
This type of cancer is rare and I would like to share my thoughts, findings, information in support of others.

What happened before:
I have been having recurring sinus and nose/throat infections for several years. This is of course due to my monthly flying and living in Bangalore with its dense traffic and dust. My health was pretty bad due to mycoplasma, which affected me quite badly and took me more than 6 months to recover from.
The last 2 years we live in Singapore and my infections were recurring every 6 months, cured by antibiotics. I started to stay away from beaches and direct sun, as I felt it cooked my head. The haze attack in June 2016 gave me another serious bout of infections.

When the throat, nose and sinuses infected again during a business trip to Spain in Nov 2016. Upon return my GP referred me to the Throat/Nose/Ear specialist for a CT scan. He found a huge polyp in my left nostril, and said it had to come out. My sinuses on the left side were all white on the scan, filled with mucus, pressing against the eye, which had been bothering me too for while.

An operation was planned on 4 Jan 2017 and I was off on another business trip to Japan and Houston. During the nights I was bleeding and even though I felt great in daytime, my condition didn't improve. I went hiking in teh weekend, but the next day I had a serious fever and had to cancel my onward travel to Houston and return home.

I stayed put, and prepared mentally and physically for the operation. I went for brisk walks and runs up to the day before the operation feeling super healthy. The operation went smooth, my crooked nose had to be broken to create breathing space, and the recovery went with lots of infections but otherwise fine.


The first clean-up visit to the specialist was when he broke the news that something malignant was found during biopsy of the polyp, and that further tests would have to done to confirm it 100%.

No comments: