Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Recovery Blues

The first days recovery were difficult. My body had not moved much in the hospital bed for 5 days due to the spinal fluid tap. This caused muscles in my neck and shoulders to spasm resulting in headaches and impossible for me to sit up. Anything in a sitting position had to be avoided.

So I went to see a physiotherapist, but the taxi ride was a hell. Immediately after being treated, the sitting in the car threw me back to pre-treatment status, so frustrating. So the next day I walked, which was good exercise but left me exhausted, not exactly what the surgeon had advised me.

The second major trouble was lack of sleep due to throbbing pain in the nose. It had been fractured to reach the upper sinus, and the pressure of thick fluid coming down to be drained were forced through the healing bridge of the nose. Painkillers (panadol) were not sufficient to make me fall asleep. After getting agreement from the anesthetist, I returned to the painkiller of the previous operation. He responded on Sunday morning within a couple of hours. Such a reliable and great guy.

After stretching regularly and sleeping perhaps too much in daytime, I had enough courage to go for a massage on day 5. This turned things around. All knots in my back were addressed and I could start enjoying the time at home. With the pain coming down and 5 hours sleep I suddenly felt things had turned around. I worded this feeling to my son as follows:
"I feel i am healthy again deep within. Its great to feel this confidently. I have thanked my Father for this. He worked with the surgeon, provided the tools, gave me a strong spirit, a smile on the face again to make you guys feel happy. Its done. From now its following the path we prepared. Great! And I love you for helping me get through this. Together we are strong!"

No comments: