The cleaning of the sinuses was done by scraping off mucus and testing it for melanoma immediately, and to continue scraping until the test result was OK.
In many places the surgeon had to scrape the bone clean and this damaged various nerves beside severe bleeding. Also he had to clean the mucus around the eye which was luckily not affected so it was saved. The tumour had affected the cerebral membrane and while scraping the affected mucus, the membrane was punctured and a brain surgeon was called in to mitigate the risk of brain damage. My wife and to rush to the hospital and sign papers before he could attend to me.
After the operation, the colour of the secretion from the nose was dark brown. The surgeon said that was old blood so he was not concerned. He and the brain surgeon were worried about leakage of fluid around the brain, which is transparent. I was instructed not to sneeze, not to clear my throat or blow my nose, nor hold my head lower than my heart. Every 4 hours several ml of fluid was tapped off from my spine to keep the pressure low for the puncture to heal.
After a week, the colour of the secretion changed into orange and one week later it turned yellow. As I could not feel the left side of my nose, nor my left upper lip, I only noticed that something was running out of my nose once it reached my mouth.
I still lack sensation in my nose, cheek and upper lip including gums of the upper left jaw. The surgeon was not clear about recovery of sensation, but I hope in time it will come back.
2 comments:
I really wonder how straight you talk and deal with that situation. But I think that's the only way to do so. Learnt a lot again.
The more I think about what could have gone wrong, the more I realize how much I was in the hands of my Father. The surgeon explained that he had anticipated and prepared a plan for everything that could have gone wrong. I appreciated his dedication and thanked him. He responded that yea acted in His name. Such a special moment.
Post a Comment