Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Fear for Chemo

When I realised that my resistance against chemo comes from a very old fear, I read up about what fear in its essence is. In short it's the reaction of the mind to get control over something that creates/initiates the fear.

So I started to dig deeper and study everything scary about chemotherapy:
  1. The moment of hearing the news that chemotherapy is a must.
  2. Not knowing what is the effect of chemo on the healthy tissue.
  3. Not knowing how the effectiveness is measured. When do we know it works?
  4. Not knowing what the side effects are and how can the inconvenience can be reduced.
After describing the root of my fear, and getting ready with questions for the doctor, it becomes tangible and the fear itself reduces:
  • It's a treatment method which is not optional
  • Get mentally ready for hearing the news from the doctors mouth.
  • I have to live with the idea.
  • Accept it and leave it in His hands.
The effect of the study, and uploading relevant content to this blog is that I am no longer scared of Chemo. 
"A medicine only works when we believe it works."
Bring it on! I believe.


"The efficient physician is the man who successfully amuses his patients while nature perfects a cure."
- Voltaire -

No comments: