Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

A new phase

For a month I am taking iron supplements to recover from anemia. The low levels of red blood cells have been there perhaps even before treatment started. The result of taking these pills I s that I get more energy and am able to undertake new activities.

This gives great satisfaction as I can participate in normal family activities again. Looking back I had accepted that my wife and daughter would go for movies, follow classes, concerts etc and I opted out time and again. This has become a pattern and they stopped asking me.

Deep down I had to admit I missed the fun even though I had accepted it as part of my recovery. Going through the side effects of regular infusions I had come to dread and accept the constant lack of zest for life. Not with sadness, but with a new kind of patience.

Now I feel different, my sense of smell and taste has returned somehow and I even visited Singapore for a short business trip. It’s like I live life again without thinking about it. Of course the defrosting of my shoulders also plays a big part in this.

All in all, the change is for the better, and I am looking forward doing things together with my family during the upcoming Christmas holidays. 3 years have passed since I was getting ready for the operation to remove a polyp. 3 years .....

2 comments:

Earthemployee said...

You must write a book about the entire story. Thanks for sharing.

Cor Arie Beetsma, MBA said...

It’s progressing well, although I didn’t touch it lately. Thank you for urging me on to complete it Thomas!