Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Sunday, January 06, 2019

Wisdom of a teenager

I am now 16mths on intensive and aggressive treatment which has reversed the damage of metastasis.   On NewYears morning, I was hit by the fact that the year ahead would be completely filled with hospital visits, infusions, side effects and regular scans. Another year of survival existence was a depressing thought.

I discussed this with my daughter over breakfast and she answered she had not enough wisdom, as she was not old enough. I didn’t agree with that, and said she had lots of experience living in Singapore, India and Japan, and that I would very much like to hear the wisdom of a 13 year old.

So she thought a bit and answered: survival is like bland tea. You need to add sugar and milk to make it tasty. So why don’t you live life a little by spicing it up and overcoming your fears? I wrote our conversation down, for her to keep, and to appreciate her support to me, and being my motivation to become healthy again.

That loving and wise advice is pulling me out of a bout of depression. Action is the only thing I believe in, so I started my 10,000 step walks again, visited my in-laws to help pruning the garden and had a movie night with my daughter. I feel exhausted, but more alive than in a long time. Thank you Marika!

No comments: