Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

J-class Rainbow, 1934 defender of the America's cup

The days at home recovering from treatments get longer and longer. So, as I mentioned in my previous blog, I decided to start building a model of a J-class yacht. I had been looking for a completed model in shops for many years, but always found them too ugly. I needed one with enough realism and detail to enjoy the beauty of her lines and feel the sheer size of her class.

Enjoy a short video of her history and how she has been brought back to life.
Here are some images I found on-line which provide an example of how she was sailed and how the rigging looked like. I use this to make the model more realistic, and not just follow the instructions. 

Action on deck





Leaning in

Close hauled
It will take a year. to build this model.
The owner Vandebilt at the helm
The owner Vandebilt in port















Look at how tiny the blocks are at a scale of 1/80. This took me an hour! You can see it hanging next to Mr Vandebilt in the picture of him at the helm of his yacht.
Its really tough to get it right so I use the contraption shown below.

Not happy yet with the first mainsheet block I made
The contraption to help my eyes to focus

No comments: