Coming home and settling in was a thrill at first. Great relief came when trying out the access to toilet and bathroom. It was all possible with slight adjustment to the wheelchair chair. The level difference is possible and good for upper body strengthening. I need to look at the positioning of my feet to see where they are as sensation is almost not existing.
Mentally I was happy with immediate start of rehabilitation, which gives me daily things to do beside my 3days a week work. All in all a smooth arrival and start of life at home. When I asked the Physio about her experience for duration of regaining strength the answer made me realize it will time: up to 3mth to restore muscle strength and 6-9 month to regain balance and control to walk. Learning to walk again.
Daily routine starts with stretching and balancing lifted knees in the bed. Shifting from lying on my back to tummy and then rise to hands and knees takes effort every step of the way. 15 minutes later, I lie panting on my back again, resting to go sit up and do the next upper leg lifting routine. You can imagine it’s going to be a long road of recovery…

No comments:
Post a Comment