Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Staying in a Japanese hospital

I have been writing about hospitalization in Japan, and I am sure there are so many differences with Singapore and India. I never stayed in Hospital in Holland, I leave that to the readers to fill in. I guess language is biggest issue for foreigners, so it’s confirmed that all instructions are in Japanese. English indicators were added during preparation for the Olympics, so it improved somewhat. 

You will find a mixed bag of fluency amongst the doctors and nurses. Lucky for me, I have a perfect English speaking dermatologist, and the same for his assistant, who monitors my symptoms. Most specialists like pharmacists and physiotherapist are trying their best, so when you try  and speak a bit of Japanese and use the imiwa? App or Google translate, you’ll come a long way.

Next the hospitality and training of the staff comes to mind. It’s without doubt the best I know. They never  tire of the happy banter with mostly old guys around me. They do indicate clear limits, and provide room for patients to do things themselves in a very natural way. 

For instance, the first day they did everything for me to get me in and out of the wheelchair. Now they wait just a bit longer to reach for my legs, or shoes to be put on. I gradually become more flexible and can do more things, so it’s very welcome to make me do it. In India my wife was forced to do things she couldn’t do. Pain was something you had to endure as a woman the nurse said. We were shocked. In Singapore they would repeat things like a drill, polite but never changing.

Systems and procedure are honed to perfection, especially the menu. You can choose everyday between 2 options, great variety of veggies and meats, fish, spaghetti, fried noodles. I was given daily Yakult I asked for. My neighbor undergoing chemo, was given nice jelly’s. Another was given gratin after an inquiring discussion with the diëtist. Amazing such personal care for chemo patients. Their daily suffering was made bearable.

The rooms are for 4 patients and the curtains are drawn permanently as a remnant of COVID policies. As these policies also include no visitors, the place is super quiet except for serious and long wet or dry coughing episodes, and the ever present snoring orchestra. Enduring the side effects of the treatments is handled by sufficient painkillers and the provided individual care. 

The nurses provide individual warning that they will switch on the lights at 6am, the same cheerful announcement visit happens at 21:15 to herald the darkening of the room. Without exception I am left with a smile on my face. 

Washing is done by hot wet towels and assistance is provided except for private zones, and she will disappear when you wish to wash yourself further. A small shower room is available in each room of 4, as well as a toilet and washing area. A small fridge is provided near each bed, together with the usual but very spacious storage cabinets. A bath and coin washer is available as well in each ward of 10-15 rooms. 

Lastly they assigned me to a bed in the ‘English room’ of the floor, named 14A5. This is a small joke playing with words: in Japanese A5 is pronounced as A go. English is pronounced as E-igo. You get the drift. Sorry. Kudaranai is the Japanese name for a bad joke in Japanese. My son really doesn’t like them, but my daughter still smirks sometime.

Enjoy your stay in a hospital in Japan!


No comments: