I wondered how my brain would react getting beamed over and over again with healing yet harmful radiation. The deep realization that radiation is a mixed blessing made me get mentally ready for the worst. Was it a coincidence that the atomic weapon agreement became active while the same principle was used on me for medical purposes?
The week that followed was dreadful. Eating the delicious Japanese food was work, as my body was resisting it. A weeklong seasickness was accompanied by inflamed intestines and other side effects of Opdivo. Quite a mix but my mind was ready for it, trying to stay active and changing my eating habits. This flexibility and resilience made me aware of the happy moments that my book was an inspiration to other patients.
The church community in Tokyo prayed for me, as did my family and friends everywhere. This is His power which I have come to trust and rely on. As always He will not react immediately, but His love will show me the way to deal with all the side effects and be patient. Everything heals over time. Time also helped me to lead a new initiative at work by fully depending on the team. I felt really blessed.
The weekend started very tough, and I could hardly walk. I promised myself a massage if I could reach the shop which is about 2.5km away. Somehow I made it, and enjoyed the relaxing treat. I applied what I had learned earlier: know what your mind and body needs and take time for myself. Yesterday night something clicked in my brain. It was like a veil was lifted, the dreaded weight in my intestines had disappeared.
This morning I woke afresh, brought my daughter to the station at 6:40 and felt happy when she reminded me that Thursday would be national holiday. Yes! A long 4 day weekend. Such a present relaxed me instantly and now I am ready to start the new day, forgetting everything that happened the last weeks.
A new day, what a blessing...
No comments:
Post a Comment