Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Sunday, January 05, 2020

My message

I have received much feedback on this blog, how honest I am in writing down my experience and feelings. When I read how other patients and their care givers are struggling, I always wonder how my experience can help them.

A blog is one way to reach out as well as participating in a Facebook group. Each has a target audience and thus a clear objective. The blog is to keep family and friends informed, the commenting function was used by some and others responded personally by mail. The Facebook group is to share experience among patients and caregivers.

A book has the potential to reach a wider audience. However, if the goal of the book is unclear, the message and appeal to the audience is missing and nobody will be interested to read it. My experience will only be of value if there is a compelling message for that wider audience.

So who are these possible readers? What is their motivation to read my book? I have learned that patients and close family want to have information on the latest treatments and their side effects. Friends and distant family are interested in which support and actions are valuable and most appreciated in each stage of sickness.

General knowledge on cancer survival can also be a motivation for readers who are not directly related to a patient. Also, the earlier cancer is diagnosed the higher the chance is of survival, so it’s valuable to know which symptoms can predict cancer in an early stage. Once cancer is diagnosed, it’s valuable to know what to do (and what not to do) to increase the chance of survival.

Nowadays cancer is no longer a death certificate. This is very different than even 5 years ago. There are so many new treatments emerging that it’s important to get oneself informed about it. Knowledge of the possible treatments increases the chance of survival. Going for second opinions and learn about possible treatment options reduces stress.

Reducing stress increases the chance of survival. A positive mind searches for a way out. Having options reduces the chance of depression when a treatment doesn’t work. It sounds so logical, but when the first tell-tale signs of cancer appear, a typical human tends to ignore it and think that it will disappear by itself like a flu or a cold.

Cancer doesn’t go away without treatment and therefore requires an active and hands-on approach. Read up, get yourself educated on the latest treatments, and of course, live a healthy and preventive lifestyle. This is the message I want to share with you. My book should encourage and convince the reader that now is the time to start.

No comments: