Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Feeling blessed

The last months have been different. The treatment has killed the cancer cells, and I constantly think that I should feel healthy. This belief appears logical right? I have been fighting for more than 2 years for clean scans. Then why does my body hurt all the time? I never felt this way the last 2 years.

As I wrote, I have to accept it, be patient and be confident in my recovery. Unexpected pain is apparently part of recovery. This acceptance is the basis of finding purpose in life as a cancer survivor. Side effects of radiation and immunotherapy can be permanent. The effects are not documented as the treatment is too new.

One way to help accept that I need time away from office to recover is to find the benefit of taking a step back. Work provides me a chance to forget about the recovery process, and time off is obviously meant to enjoy my hobbies. The mind never stops, and I have learned to direct it at useful things instead of trying to make it stop.

Work has provided me the much needed change of focus for my mind, a change of mind so to say. The same is now happening at home when I need a break to treat my pain and do the strengthening exercises. I think over the difficulties I face at work and the solution presents itself and I write mails immediately to share the idea. The mind then loses interest in work, and I can enjoy my time off.

That’s it! I now enjoy the time to recover at home, and many a times need it to resolve complex issues. I have to admit that I was able to do this at work before I became sick, and miss that professional capability.

I am mourning the loss of my health and my energy at work. I feel depressed and tears come when the endless pain is keeping me awake at night. But when the sun rises again, I learn to appreciate this new balance. It’s what motivates me to become strong again and get ready for a beach holiday with my family and play in the breaking waves.....


No comments: