Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Strontium-89 therapy, Opdivo

Today I am in Tsukiji NCC for pre-check-up for the strontium-89 therapy. I received an injection with Strontium to see where it is absorbed.
Next I had skeleton scintigraphy, using a CT Scanner, which is a special type of nuclear medical procedure that uses small amounts of radioactive material to diagnose and assess the severity of a variety of diseases, including cancer.
3 months after this therapy, Tumor to non-Tumor ratios (T/NT) are calculated, as well as changes in B-AKP compared. This therapy is not a cure, but it reduces the damage of bone cancer. Afterwards immunotherapy is required to trigger natural immunity to further eradicate the cancer.

Based on a research article (2004) on effect of strontium-89 therapy, bone lesions (damage) decreased by approx 50%. However, the doctor explained that this treatment is primarily to reduce pain, not for tumor treatment. He also explained that the side effects could be very severe and long lasting: loss of white and red blood cells. Those are the cells I need most when kickstarting my immune system!

So it was decided by Namikawa-sensei to start with Nevolumab (Opdivo). So next week Monday 21 Aug I will get the first injection, and will go home afterwards. MmI don't want to stay in hospital as the side effects are not severe. Better stay at home and relax, walk a bit outside, instead of tethered to a bed, and listen to other people who have cancer and try to be quiet.

This time it's for real, no other treatment options anymore. Just get on with life, stay in shape and enjoy daily activities. I will let the body fight if after 3 months results are not as expected.

2 comments:

Rosan said...

Comment from Wilma: Action, let's go! Monday monday can trust that day. Let's hope for the best. Live positive and with healthy food, drinks, talks, thoughts, moving and love.

Arjan Postma said...

Wilma !