Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Headaches, in both eyes

I start to develop pain in both eyes when I have to focus. Since it is in both eyes, I am so not worried its related to the Melanoma, and this can be an infection, a post-operation inflammation or a sign that I need better reading glasses.
When I googled the cause of the pain behind the eyes I ran into this:

Ophthalmic Migraine
"(also called acephalgic migraine, migraine aura without headache, amigrainous migraine, isolated visual migraine, ocular and optical migraine)
Migraine headaches may be preceded by a visual "aura", lasting for 5 to 30 minutes (most commonly around 15 minutes), and then proceeding to the headache. Some people, however, experience the aura but do not have a headache. This visual aura can be very dramatic. Classically, a small blind spot appears in the central vision with a shimmering, zig-zag flicker light inside of it ("scintillating scotoma"). This enlarges, and moves to one side or the other of the vision, over the 5 to 30 minute period. When it is large, this crescent shaped blind spot containing this brightly flashing light can be difficult to ignore, and some people fear that they are having a stroke. In reality, it is generally a harmless phenomenon (with one exception noted below), although many people subsequently get the migraine headache. Since migraine originates in the brain, the visual effect typically involves the same side of vision in each eye, although it may seem more prominent in one eye or the other. It is usually mainly perceived as occurring in the eye in which is occupies the temporal (outside) field of vision. The visual phenomenon would also be perceived in the nasal field of vision of the other eye.

Some people get different variations of this phenomenon, with the central vision being involved, or with the visual effect similar to "heat rising off of a car". Some people describe a "kaleidoscope" effect, with pieces of the vision being missing. All of these variations are consistent with ophthalmic migraine. There are many examples of "visual migraine" that have been drawn by patients available on the internet."

I have this a few times per year! Glad I don't have the headaches that usually come with migraine.

1 comment:

frisian said...

After a week the headache subsided. Reading still requires me wearing reading glasses now, but since my nose is healed enough now I can wear them without pain. It was apparently a post-op inflammation.