Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Sunday, February 20, 2022

The impact of facial palsy on my vision

Since September facial palsy has set in and has not improved much. This has been a worry of course, which I have tried to ignore in order to focus on the cancer recovery. Now that side effect repression medicines come to an end, we paid a visit to an eye specialist to check up on my double vision. 

This is causing dizzy spells while walking, and makes watching TV impossible. Reading and work using the PC is going fine as reading glasses keep things sharp. I have to limit the hours of course. Walking outside is not relaxing as I will have have to wear an eyepatch to prevent dizziness. Anyway, it’s not life threatening but simply annoying.

Studying available reports, palsy may cause the weakening of involuntary muscles which can results in (temporary) diplopia. The eye specialist was unsure and referred us back to the cancer hospital to be able to combine all available information from MRI’s. We will take it up with my treating oncologist and get an appointment with the resident eye specialist there.

All this makes us unsure and makes me emotional about the possibility that facial palsy is not recovering at all, that it may be permanent… I wrote earlier about emotional challenges. I changed from planning a trip to Holland to living day by day. Enjoying small things is not a simple task, but reading magazines which arrived by post are a welcome change.

It’s important to stick to the basics: have patience, ask advice from my trusted oncologist and stay focussed on what can be done. Feelings of desperation are inevitable but require a positive mindset to prevent depressive cycles. Not easy, but awareness is the first step. 

Talking to my therapist must continue…

No comments: