Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Improving my mental health

After a clean scan, it’s time to switch my mindset to being healthy. I went through this process before in early 2020 and thought it to be easy enough. However when I went into remission, and the scan was showing traces of metastasis, I realized that switching is still temporary. I already knew I had to learn to live with this disease and not spend time on wishing and conquering it. There is no cure… 

General behavior counseling was what I opted for, remaining very cautious not to be too optimistic.  
  • Resolve short temper, be a better listener.  
  • Deal with retirement. Already through Beecon, and BKCF. 
  • How to deal with my 16yr old daughter as she is self centered at 16. 
  • Support my wife more, be less of a burden. Do house chores. 
  • Learn to accept her lead in the house.
Christianity:
  • How to share the experience of Jezus with my family?
Cancer:
  • Expectations to get better soon 
  • Dialing with chemo side effects, fears, sudden weight loss
  • Resolve conflict with ‘Gaman suru’
  • Fear for pain management in Japan
  • Reduce stress for family
Well, I started hourly counseling, and find it easy to relate and share openly with my counselor. She is 80 yrs old, and also has cancer. At first I felt a bit strange to be in the same boat, but when sharing experience became easy, I also felt talking to a fellow patient in full confidence was very calming.

I am looking forward to next session!

No comments: