Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Halfway point

The last 6 days were like an experience with a slow ticking clock. The Ipi/Nivo infusion was doing its job in killing melanoma cells but at the same time caused bad nausea, intestine trouble and jolting backaches. Everyday was a different combination, with radiation headaches coming and going. It seemed it would never end. 

Today I am going for the fifth radiation, and my body feels slightly better. Halfway point! Anything positive to hang on to…

Taking part of daily life by visiting the hospital somehow grounds me in reality; sitting in crowded trains, running to catch a bus which closes its doors in front of my nose... Life continues, peoples lives continue around me. So much news appears to me completely meaningless when I see the suffering in the eyes and posture of patients and caregivers. Everyone is bravely carrying their own hidden cross.

What is this type of cancer difficult to handle, both mentally and physically. It’s sleeping for months and catches me off-guard when it appears again on scans. I somehow came to terms that this is a companion for the rest of my living days. The amazing immunotherapy developments to inactivate the melanoma cellular attack mechanism is saving me time and again. 

But still… it requires a special mindset, patience, while letting Peace of God overcome my fear for the unknown. It provides for a safe haven, where I am blessed with hope. This hope is the shelter for the storm I am in.

Prayers from all of you have helped so much, and I want to thank you for that. Without you, my loved ones, it would be impossible to get through this with a stable and strong mind. I feel strong because of your continued support. 

Today is the birthday of my daughter, and I feel ok enough to join the diner to celebrate. Next week my son will start work after he halted his master studies. Startup engineer for ASML, covering all semicon factories in Japan. A bright future lies ahead for both of them, and I feel so blessed to be part of it…

No comments: