Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Monday, June 15, 2020

Feeling guilty or grateful

I read and heard several patients who feel guilty that they are survivors. They have difficulties dealing with patients who are suffering. Only a short a while ago they were living day by day, and now they are carefully planning again. After COVID-19 these survivors are hesitant to go out and express their feelings of happiness openly.

Somehow I can understand this, but when I reflect deeper I feel it has to do with maintaining a healthy mindset. I have always made great effort to sanitize my mind by stopping downward spiraling thoughts. Discipline in sanitization has also been key in identifying and freeing me from hidden fears. 

It is important to manage the level and effect of empathy for fellow patients. I believe it is a building block of a healthy mindset. Other examples of building blocks of a healthy mindset are: don’t try doing everything alone but ask for help, express love and gratitude openly, humility, keep hope and use it as a shelter, accept what you cannot do anymore, focus on what you can do, enjoy small events etc.

For that purpose I have written every experience in my book. I hope it will help patients, their families and friends. 

2 comments:

Ecileide de Fátima Garcia said...

Sinta-se grato, você é mesmo um milagre e isso é muito bom. Viva e seja feliz sempre. É o que desejo.

frisian said...

Thank you, indeed I am a miracle and feel so grateful for the rest of my life, as it is a gift.....