Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Monday, August 07, 2017

7 August, PET scan and diagnosis

Fasting was easy and the PET/CT scan went by like a 1.5 hour nap. The royal milk tea with salad hotdog was gone before I blinked. At 12:30 my family arrived at the hospital to see dr Zenda and hear his diagnosis. I felt strong and supported, ready for the worst, a long fight or for the most fantastic news.

The result of the scan was that my nose and sinus were clear from cancer! Nothing could be seen anymore! Wow. Such a relief. The relief that the life threatening melanoma next to my brain and eye was no more, started to sink in much later. The 'imminent end of life' scenario in my mind could now be removed. The pain I had felt the last weeks was a side effect of radiation, the heat outside and work and travel stress. 'Nothing to do with cancer!' dr Zenda smiled. I felt such a relief then.

But, it was now confirmed that the melanoma had metastasized in the spine, as dr Zenda had suspected after the MRI in May. The PET scan showed up like a Christmas tree with many activities in the spine. The good thing was that it was found so early (again) and that we were in Japan where the best treatment for metastasized melanoma in the bone was available (and covered by insurance).

It's for sure that I have to start on immunotherapy now, starting with 3 days hospitalization to monitor how my body reacts to it. There are cases described of organ failure as the body's immune system starts to attack heathy cells too. Not pretty, but with other medicines these side effects can be treated until the therapy starts to get results. If this doesn't work, (70% of the time it doesn't) other cancer medicines will be administered.

So, I will be introduced to another specialist for melanoma in Tsukiji NCC. My wife objected as she had lost both her grandmother and mother there with cancer. Her emotions were very strong but she was left no choice by de Zenda. The train ride we would be taking was the same she took with her mother so many times.... The appointment in Tsukiji is set on 9 Aug to decide when to start the treatment.

First battle won, Second battle started. Ready for the fight in very high spirits and supported by my family, both nearby and far away. As time passes it all sinks in and informing some colleagues makes me realize that all I need now is time which is such a change from the previous period of unknowns. This brings (partial) closure.

My hand lies in His.

1 comment:

Earthemployee said...

This are good News, but there is always a but. I believe you will win also the next battle. Because you are designed to win ;-)