Purpose of this blog

My name is Cor and this is my story dealing with mucosal melanoma (MM) in my nose which was diagnosed on 10 Jan 2017. I am married and have 2 kids. I write and update this blog to reach out to all my loved ones far away with updates and my state of mind and also to share information with other patients.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Change becomes constant

On 21st August I will undergo a full scan of my body. In the run-up there are quite a few things going on.

My health has recovered from a terrible cold which I caught during my first business trip after treatment. After 2 weeks without medicines, struggling stubbornly, I was 'coincidentally' called by my surgeon for a checkup. He said he missed me, and so I went. Upon entering the treatment room, we embraced and greeted like old friends. He checked my nose and found it to be perfectly in order. He asked about the radiation treatment and found I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. It could be because of the cold so he prescribed antibiotics which I took like a lamb. He prayed for me and said how wonderful and trusting patient I had been. It had made is work so easy. Others showed glaring mistrust with family members interrogating him every step along the way, suing him for millions when things go wrong.

I took a day off to recover from dizziness and a swollen cheek.
Stupid to be so stubborn in searching the new limits of my health. But, as I written to my siblings, I had reached a point where I had to decide (at least I thought I had that choice) between taking it easy and go with the flow, OR push the limits, start new activities and give myself tangible proof that I was healthy. So I found out it was not a choice, I had to go with the flow but not be scared to try new things and enjoy life and eat it's sweet and sour fruits.

At work I am preparing for a make or break presentation and workshop in Bahrain about Agile Project Execution. This is the transformation in engineering, which started about 2.5 years ago. The result will be presented in a Global Sales meeting in mid August in order to get support from all sales managers, followed by their sales staff and when they sell the concept, all engineers. It's quite a mental pressure so I delegate.

Moving house in two steps is a test of how I can let go of it, and leave it to my wife and son to manage. I will have a quiet time in Tokyo while they handle all the logistics. The thing I can do is to make sure the housing is decided early, so that will not keep on haunting me at night. An example how crazy my mind works is that I worry about where I can do my laundry while camping out in an empty house. I found a coin laundry down the road. My wife will order rudimentary furniture and futon on-line, to be delivered on the day after my arrival. Let it go.

While this is going on, I need to keep my mind from falling into the trap of thinking too much about the MRI result last month where suspicious activities were found. This dark cloud in an otherwise rather clear sky can easily grow into a huge cumulonimbus. Live in the now.

No comments: